I’d love to know how you all handle work/life balance with parenthood! Something I’m going to have to work on is how to stop working. You see, I have this rare condition that makes me enjoy work lol. Isn’t that something? I love working so much that after my 9 to 5, I go to my other office and work one-on-one with my coaching clients. And when I’m done with that, some days I come to my home office and work a little more. Yes, I know, it’s sad lol.
Don’t worry… I do realize that somethings gotta give once I have children. I’ve already started transitioning some things out of my daily work routine and have cut back some of my coaching hours. I suppose once you have children you really have no choice but to have work/life balance. That becomes a priority!
Here are some tips I’ve found helpful on my journey to work/life balance:
- Have a plan – Having a schedule and sticking to it has been a lifesaver these last few months. No last minute appointments.
- Take intentional breaks – Instead of working through lunch as I normally would, I’ve found that leaving the office for lunch helps me. I can take a quick breather or even get some grocery shopping done in the middle of the day.
- Listen to your body – When my body says “NO” I listen. (almost) Gone are the days when I worked past the point of being a zombie. I learned the hard way that if I don’t listen to my body, it’ll make sure I rest by any means necessary.
- Look forward to something – I’m a planner by nature. I enjoy planning vacations and events many months ahead. This gives me something to look forward to and also ensures that I take some much needed time off!
- Have a team that keeps you in check – Without a doubt I have the most amazing friends and family. If they haven’t seen or talked to me in awhile, they will hunt me down and force me to take time away from work.
Do you have some tips on work/life balance that you can share with our community? We’d love to hear your thoughts!
Author – Simone Jennings (@simonejennings)Published in